MU Leadership Development Academy for RNs and NHAs in Long-Term Care
A proven curriculum to increase leadership behaviors and job retention
This academy is made possible through a grant from the
DHHS, HRSA, NEPQRS (D11HP08365)
Join us for the third and final grant-funded MU Leadership Development Academy for Nurse Leaders and Nursing Home Administrators in Long Term Care, starting this fall. We know that long-term care can be challenging, but the Academy will help you better manage daily crises and get the most out of your employees, all while earning over 40 hours of CE credit.
The Academy has been proven to increase leadership skills and improve confidence, which will help to create a working environment that encourages teamwork and quality improvement. Enroll with your RN colleague for the best group-learning and team-building experience. Don’t miss out on this final opportunity to challenge yourself, grow in your leadership and network with your peers!
Follow-up surveys from graduates of the Academy reveal:
- 71-94 percent of the graduates remained with their original employer at 6-18 months after graduation.
- Statistically significant increases in self-reported transformational leadership behaviors and confidence in their ability to perform as leaders.
- The mentoring component served to enrich and expand RN peer support networks.
- Graduates are more likely to involve their staff in decision making and to provide a working environment conducive to teamwork and quality improvement.
To prepare nurse leaders and NHAs in long term care to create and sustain improvement in their work settings, including ability to emphasize staff involvement, facilitate communication and teamwork, set clear expectations and ensure high standards of care.
- A proven curriculum to increase leadership behaviors and job retention.
- Emphasizes leadership as a key element in high- vs. low-performing nursing homes.
- Tackles the hard issues, helping homes sustain improvements beyond the survey.
- Awards both nurses and nursing home administrators CE credit, useful for licensure, certification and recertification.
- Incorporates a mentoring component and assists participants with a quality improvement project.
- Includes eight days of classes and two webinars offered over seven months.
- Assesses pre- and post-Academy leadership behaviors and competencies including the Leadership Practices Inventory.
- Offers valuable resources including two books, numerous articles and tools to promote leadership success.
Criteria for successful completion
- Regular attendance — To meet the course objectives and fully benefit from the Academy, more than two absences will result in dismissal from the Academy. Days 1, 2 and 8 are mandatory classes.
- Completion of required assignments and assessment tools:
- Completion of daily evaluation tool.
- Completion of pre-post Academy self-assessment tools.
- Regular class participation.
- Completion and presentation of quality improvement change project.
You must have access to a computer and a working email address.
Dates and locations
All sessions are full-day, face-to-face meetings except the two webinars, which may be completed at home or in the work setting (1 hour each).
Columbia and St. Louis 2012-13:
- Sept. 18-19, 2012 and March 12-13, 2013: Both groups meet together in Columbia
- Oct. 10 and Nov. 14, 2012; Jan. 9 and Feb. 13, 2013: Regional meetings for Columbia site
- Oct. 17 and Nov. 28, 2012; Jan. 16 and Feb. 20, 2013: Regional meetings for St. Louis site
- Dec. 12 and 19, 2012: Webinars of 1 hour each, done at home or in the work setting.
Kansas City and Springfield 2013:
- April 9-10 and Oct. 15-16: Both groups meet together in Kansas City
- May 8, June 12, July 10, Sept. 18: Regional meetings for KC site
- May 22, June 19, July 17, Sept. 25: Regional meetings for Springfield site
- Aug. 14 and 21: Webinars of 1 hour each, done at home or in the work setting.
Dean Tlustos, nursing home administrator (NHA), and Judy Halley, director of nursing (DON), discuss Judy’s very successful QI change project on falls at Ozark Riverview Manor.
In rare instances, a date may need to be changed. Sufficient notice will be given.